Disclosure: This is NOT a sponsoured post. I am however a have been a member of WPMU and a member of their affiliate program. All views on their plugins, themes and support are my own.
I can think of 100s of reasons why people might have on their blog premium content that they want to limit access to the general viewing public and want to have some sort of ‘payment’ before you can access it. Some of these might include tutorials, databases, videos, photos, ebooks, and digital graphics scrapbooking products. I guess the list is endless but the question is how do you do it and what exactly does payment have to mean.
Today I thought it would be fun to look at some of the options on how you can offer both Premium content on your WordPress.org (self-hosted blog) with some options from WPMUDev
Pay With Like
This would have to be my favourite of the Premium content Plugins. Pay With a Like gets your visitors promoting your posts through social media channels before they can have access to your exclusive content. Since social networking websites account for the largest amount of overall internet activity, your content will have the chance to spread quickly across the web. If your strategy for increasing blog traffic or your blog business model includes marketing of any kind (and whose doesn’t) then this plugin help give it the extra push it needs to go viral.
Some examples on how on you could use Pay With Like include …[pwal id=”19731894″ description=”Click on one of the Social Media Shares to find out examples of how you can use Pay With Like”]
- Special offers or coupons
- Freebies or Product Samples
- Special downloads or images
- Music Demos or Videos
The Pay with a Like plugin lets you leverage the power of social media in order to give access to content or a download. You know your content is share-worthy, but how do you get those lazy visitors to take a minute to share with their friends? Make them pay with a Like on Facebook! Content becomes available after a user pays by sharing your post. And you can use it not just for Facebook but also for Tweets, a Google +1, or a share on LinkedIn.
Pay Per View
The Pay Per View plugin provides you the with one of the quickest way to monetize your content. You can can create your content, allow payments, and (hopefully) watch the money roll in. With this plugin you to offer your users to access your content with either one-off, day-long or subscription payments.
Some examples on how this could be used would include
- Exclusive Content including Videos
Pay Per View features include
- Protect content in posts and pages. Just use the WYSIWYG editor to easily protect content and ask for payment.
- Easily customizable. Allow pretty much every conceivable parameter to be set. You can set it up to show excerpts or just block entire pages. You can have global controls set or you can control each of the pages at an individual level.
- Clear and effective payment options. Make it extremely easy for people to make single payments or pay with subscriptions.
- Twitter, Facebook and Google + API integrated. No need for visitors to create an account with you… makes payment very easy.
- Elegant PayPal Express integration. You’ll be up and running taking payments by PayPal or credit cards every quickly
- Works perfectly with Multisite and BuddyPress.
Membership allows you to easily create membership sites like The Australian, PSD Tuts and even The New York Times where visitors can get some content for free, and pay for the rest. IMHO this is the one of the most powerful of all of the plugins on offer at WPMUDev. One thing I like also about this pluginis that not all users have to ‘pay’ for membership (or any members really). This can also be used as a means of just controlling content and delivering a different experience based on different user-types. For work I have used it a few times and the best bit about it is that while it is really powerful … it is easy to use and it just works.
Some examples on how this could be used would include
- Any really any website that has access to ‘exclusive content’ that wants to find a easy way of managing a membership and charging for content like news or tutorials websites
- Software Developers – offering updates and premium support
- Clubs and Associations
- Committees and Fundraising Bodies
Membership features include
- Flexible membership options and a drag-and-drop interface make it easy for you to customize your own membership site to your exact specifications. Choose the length of your membership and how often your subscriptions should renew.
- Choose to give access to all your content immediately or “drip” it out over the length of the membership.
- Customizable levels allow you to provide some or all of your members with access to any combination of downloads, categories, pages, posts, comments, online content, videos, forums, support or anything at all you can build with WordPress.
- Control access to any content or functionality via multiple different shortcodes.
- Because Membership works with BuddyPress, you can create your own paid social network by controlling access to BuddyPress groups and BuddyPress blogs. You can create your own exclusive paid club or course!
- Convert more visitors to paying members by offing a free trial of your membership and then turning it into a paid subscription after X days.
- Charge for access to your membership site with one of the current gateways – or add your own.
Why do I use WPMU Dev Plugins?
- Support – I know that if there is a problem there is both a community of users and experts that are there to help .. and they really do. You can also get help for stuff that is outside of their plugins. For me it is indispensable.
- Continuously Updated – I know that when a new version of WordPress or BuddyPress comes along there will be an update ready before it’s even released!
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net