Earth Day 2008 is approaching.
Think Global Act Local
Sometimes it seems when you read literature or watch environmental documentaries that the problems with the environment seem so big and you wonder what one person can do to influence change. However it is in exactly at those times that I try to remember that all changes comes about by individuals and groups of committed individuals looking at a situation and saying “stop … what can I do to change this” and making changes with their own actions.
There are lots of things that can be done to help reduce your negative impact on the environment. Use Earth day to look at your own footprint on the world.
Some ideas you can do for change
- Switch off lights and appliances when they’re not needed. Simple but very effective.
- Install energy-efficient compact fluorescent lamps. They can save up to 80% of your lighting bill and last up to 8 times longer.
- Cut hot water usage by installing a 3-star, water-efficient showerhead, taking shorter showers and using cold-water clothes washing.
- Switch to a GreenPower electricity contract. Get the maximum % of GreenPower you can afford. For the most competitive rates go to our survey www.planetark.com/greenpowertable/
- Switch to low greenhouse impact transport options like your legs, bicycles or public transport. Use phone, email or video conferencing wherever possible.
- Make your home more pleasant to live in and reduce your need for home heating and cooling and by installing insulation, draft-sealing and shading.
- If you have a heating or cooling system set the thermostat appropriately. Each degree you turn it up summer and down in winter can save you 10% in energy.
- Divert garden and food wastes from landfill to composting (either at home or through a Council scheme – if they don’t have one ring them up and ask for one to be set up).
(Source: Planet Ark)
Let our leaders know if they want to keep their jobs, they have to do something, something big and bold, to solve climate change.
Earth Day is on a Tuesday this year! They are in, they are at their desks, CALL THEM, go visit them, email them, let them know you are out there, watching!