- $314 million Education card providing $20,000 to help disabled children attend the school of their choosing.
- Hand over funding of remaining BER stimulus to school boards
- Increase Education Tax Rebate to $500 for primary students, and $1,000 for high school students
- Alter MySchool website so only changes in each school’s overall positions from year to year are visible
- $3 million program to prevent truants from playing weekend sport
- Schools to receive funding increases for improvements in attendance and results
- To set up a school rewards scheme for high-achieving schools, paying cash bonuses of $75,000 for primary schools and $100,000 for high schools starting in 2013
- To give principals greater autonomy, including managing and selecting teachers and control over their budget starting in 1000 schools from 2012
- To introduce a national year 12 qualification, the Australian Baccalaureate, as an alternative to the state-based certificates.
- Increase in family benefits for families with students aged 16-18 (for families that currently receive the Family Tax Benefit)
- 50 per cent rebate on school uniforms
- Abolish fees for public universities and forgive outstanding HECS/HELP loans
- Replace current non-government school funding model with one that takes into account private funding levels
Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash